Count Baptisms AND Conversions


As I have said before, I don’t think baptisms are the best indicator of evangelism. Should every new Christian be baptized? Absolutely. Are they? No they’re not. VBS is the largest evangelism event we have each year. Every year I have many young people receive Christ. Many of them are not Baptists. Sometimes it’s difficult to convince non-Baptist parents of the need for baptism. Thus they are not baptized and don’t count on reports.
Also, I have led many older people to Christ. Many of them are at death’s door. Many of them are physically unable to be baptized. Thus they are not baptized and don’t count on reports.
None of these young and older people are “counted” in our baptism report but that doesn’t mean the evangelism by our church is not effective.
I still call for the ACP to have a place to report conversions. To me, that would be a better indicator of evangelism effectiveness.
Just because someone walks an aisle and is baptized doesn’t mean they are any more saved than someone who doesn’t.