Christ Rescues an Abortion-Minded Woman

The following story is from my lovely wife of 40 years, Debbie. She volunteers as a counselor each week at Salem Pregnancy Center in Winston Salem, NC. Through her, the Lord Jesus has led countless abortion-minded women to have their baby and turn to Christ. This is the story of one of those women.

Several times a month I volunteer at a local pregnancy care center. Here we offer pregnancy counseling, abstinence education, post-abortion counseling and adoption counseling. We also offer comfort and hope. Most importantly, we offer the greatest gift of all and that’s Jesus. Sharing Jesus and watching someone come to know Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior is why I do this. I also have the opportunity to stay in touch with the young ladies and see and hear about their progress with their baby and their walk with the Lord. I remember one such young lady.

She had been living with her boyfriend and she became pregnant. She wanted to keep her baby but her boyfriend was pressuring her to have an abortion. When she came to the pregnancy center she was till undecided. I shared the gospel of Jesus Christ with her and she received Christ as Savior and Lord. Together we rejoiced in her new life in Christ and she decided that the right thing to do was to have her baby. Praise God!

As I normally do, I tried to contact her a couple of weeks after this appointment, but could not reach her. Her phone had been disconnected. A couple of months passed and the pregnancy center received a call that one of our clients was looking for a place to get away from her abusive boyfriend. The information was given and, from what I understand, the police became involved. I found out later this was my client. My heart broke for her, but no one was allowed to know where she was or contact her. I took comfort in knowing that she was safe.

Several years later, one of our women was at a training session on domestic violence when a young lady approached her. It was my client. She said she had her baby and was doing well. She was so thankful for the ministry of the pregnancy center that she expressed a desire to help. She has volunteered to be a counselor and she is currently going through training. I have the wonderful privilege of training a former client to help other young ladies who are going through what she went through. What an awesome God we serve!

Jeremiah 29:11-13 comes to mind.
“For I know the thoughts that I think toward you says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon Me and go and pray to Me and I will listen to you. And you will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart.”

This story is being repeated in pregnancy centers all over our nation. If your church is not actively supporting your local pregnancy center, I would humbly advise that you consider supporting them.

Comments